ARIZONA

ARIZONA

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Daniel vs Interviews!

Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 11:07:27 -0700
From: eric.feller@myldsmail.net

This week we had a baptism! Wooooo. Bro. Henry Florez decided to write his name in the book of Heaven. He is an awesome guy. He's a doctor here in Yuma who was born in columbia and went to college in New York. in his second marriage, he married a member of the church. He dodged the church and the missionaries for a while, but as we found out in Sis. Florez's testimony, they were having some marital problems and then he asked his friend why they were always so happy all the time. His friend replied, "well, its the gospel of Jesus Christ" and then 6 weeks later he's baptized. I didnt really get to teach him too much, just the word of wisdom. And I helped him understand and then get over coffee. So it was fun. The baptism went really well. Lots of tears were shed. haha, and he was a little late, so we didn't get to get the traditional baptismal suit picture. But that's ok. Hahaha. The funniest part of the whole thing was: They had special musical numbers in the middle time while he was changing, and his son gets up there and plays "families can be together forever " on the piano. One note at a time, and very good for a little kid. Then my companion gets up and plays this ellaborate version of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" And totally blows this little kid out of the water. I almost laughed out loud and some people did. But it was ok, the kids feelings weren't hurt or anything. But it was way funny. My companion didn't even realize untill I told him later.
Neeeeeext. We had Interviews! President Howes and the AP's came down to Yuma for interviews! I love opportunities to learn from the President and APs. They are always good. President got up and told us that there were more missionaries than ever before in Yuma right now (6 English and 10 Spanish) And that he anticipated growth in the Church here. The first thing that came to my mind: in ward council meeting our ward had been reading the handbook. They got to the end of section 4. Next meeting they will be on Section 5. The missionary work section. So, because of my enlightened understanding of the Ward Council Process and the Church General Handbook of Instructions, I took that as I need to kick my wards into gear! So that's my plan as of now. To get these wards doing some serious missionary work! via a ward mission plan! 
Also, my interview with President was very good. I learned a lot. It was funny, because he started talking in Business terms, and I understood it better. hahaha. Basically he told me that some people grow leaps and bounds coming out of the MTC and then flatline on my improvement, but at this point for me, it would take steady effort to continue to improve upward.
Then the APs talked about getting referals from everyone, and the way to go about it right, in order to get good referrals.
That's pretty much it for this week. Other than that, we have got a few new peopel to teach. Which is always awesome. And we got one of them to say the closing prayer last night, and she had never prayed before, but we felt very strongly that she needed to be strong in prayer in order for her to come closer to Heavenly Father. And so she was all nervous about prayer and I just said,"what do you think you need to pray for?" and she paused for a second and said "to understand what I'm learning" and I said, "if thats all you need to pray for right now, just say that" and then she offered an awesome and every ernest prayer. It was amazing. And the spirit was so strong.
That's all for this week!

Love,
Elder Daniel Feller
What Yuma looks like

Me, Bro. Florez after baptism, and Elder Workman

Bro. & Sis. Florez's whole family.

A awesome billboard here in Yuma.

1 comment:

  1. We are so happy you are having success in the area! You are a great missionary and the Lord will continue to bless you with success as you follow the Mission President's advice and as you make great decisions.
    The pictures are awesome! Love seeing them!
    -Steve

    ReplyDelete